The Franklin Band
“I first heard about Légère in college and have been sold ever since. As a band director I cannot express how much simpler these reeds make life for our students and us during rehearsals. Being synthetic, they allow our students to play whenever and wherever they want, no matter the weather conditions or how long their horn has been off of their face. In rehearsals or on the contest field, this means we always hear a true woodwind sound without dried out reeds that have been baking in the sun. They also last such a long time that our kids can rotate a few for much longer than the average wooden reed. We have gotten many comments on our woodwind sound having depth, clarity, and focus, all the while playing on synthetic reeds. Our students also feel “cool” because they know they have something special and have been way more careful with their reeds knowing their value and longevity. This is a product that should be in every band room.” ~Jacob Campos, Assistant Band Director
The Franklin Band has a national reputation, which aligns with another of our Core Values, Excellence.
We have performed in the Tournament of Roses Parade, and twice in the Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Both our Wind Ensemble and our Percussion Ensemble performed at the 2013 Music for All National Festival. The Franklin Winds, a chamber ensemble in the proportions of the classic harmonie performed at the inaugural Music for All National Chamber Music Festival in March of 2015.
Our marching band has received several honors, including:
- Four-time winner of the MTSU Contest of Champions Grand Championships in 2012, 2013, and 2015.
- Two BOA Regional Championships: 2012 Jacksonville, 2013 Powder Springs.
- 6-time Tennessee Governor’s Cup Winner: 1980, 1981, 2012, 2013. 2015
- 5-Time Grand Nationals Semi-Finalist: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Recipient of the 2014 Sudler Shield, an international award for high school marching band, sponsored by the John Philip Sousa Foundation.